Monday, October 06, 2008

Inspiration



Wondering what the photo is -- ever heard of a "crazy" quilt? I hadn't either but my mom got the buy of a lifetime at a local auction over the weekend and if we look at the date on the thing (1871) it's REALLY a find!

I am a real fan of sayings or one liners or whatever you might call them. I just read a fantastic book about volunteering and all of the following came from this book. I hope they encourage you half as much as they did for me. I actually typed each one here, cut them into different shapes and put them all around the walls in the case management room. From the comments they all enjoyed them and found the encouragement I would hope they found.

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Everybody can be great because everybody can serve.

Service is the great equalizer.

In helping others, we move beyond ourselves and find ourselves renewed.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.

My faith demands the I do whatever I can, wherever I am, whenever I can, for as long as I can with whatever I have, to try to make a difference.

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin with it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by attacking back.

When we start out to make a difference in someones life, we inevitably change our own.

It is a time not just for compassionate words, but compassionate action.

Life's most urgent question, "what are you doing for others?"

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, devoted citizens can change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that has.

People may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do.

Volunteering gives you confidence and superhuman strength. I am now officially a superhero!

The more you lose yourself in something bigger than yourself the more energy you will have.

It's easy and natural to love your friends and family, but it takes a really extraordinary person to love a stranger.

If you are out there working in your community and you aren't getting discouraged, you're not paying attention.

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.

Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

True fulfillment comes from identifying and meeting the needs of others.

The experiences of service are the ones that stay with us for a lifetime.

Service is a gift of ourselves that we give to the world, for which in return, we receive bountiful and unexpected gifts of our own.

You don't have to possess the knowledge or the skill or the energy to complete a task when you begin it; you just need enought to begin. More will come.

Service brings people together and bridges differences.

Everyone has the power to make a difference in the world.

Until next time . . . Susan and Monty

No comments: