Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Not Thinking . . .

As I was doing some preparation for next weeks start of school I made the decision to assign seats for my elementary students.

In all our training and education they always advise assigned seating for the little ones.  If you leave seat choice up to them it may take a long time before I can pull away from their stop and move to the next one.  They will always migrate to the back of the bus and when they see it's already filled or they don't want to sit with whoever is back there, the moving and decision making process begins.

Decision making in small ones can be lengthy.  Lots of time to sit at the bus stop is something I do not have.  We are literally on a minute to minute time schedule so . . .

When we get our route descriptions we also get the names of each student that "should" get on at that appointed stop.  Now . . . do I study that and make sure they are where they need to be?  No.  Parents should be responsible and I just don't have the time -- unless I have problems with the middle schoolers and/or high schoolers --- like last year!  Then --- you bet I'll check names with my list!

So off I went to the dollar store to find some fun things to make name tags out of.  I found pink butterflies and blue worms -- thinking that would be great for girls and boys.

Then when I got home and started to write the names on the tags I realized that I cannot!

Nearly all my students are of some Asian descent and I have no idea if they are boys or girls!

So . . . today it's back to the dollar store for a more "generic" name tag idea!

The pink and blue will hopefully be used much later in the school year!

Another note to self ---- this IS a different year on the bus!

Until next time . . . blessings and peace!                                                       Susan

No comments: