Wednesday, May 29, 2013

What I re-learned yesterday . . .

I haven't been able to get to my Tuesday morning Bible Study on a regular basis since starting to drive the school bus.  Yesterday, thanks to my dear friend Bev who gladly picks me up, I was back and realized just how much I missed being there.

As we were traveling back from Texas 3 years ago I felt God say to me, "you need to be at Bible Study every Tuesday morning."  He, as always, was right!

I will admit that life for me has been really difficult these past weeks, in a lot of ways.  Some are just too personal to share but I am thankful for all of you who have been praying.

Yesterday Pastor Martie started the morning talking about the "pressures" that have been surrounding all of us.  She then asked us to take a piece of paper and with no names, write down the last time we spent 30 minutes with God.  Thought provoking and very humbling and nearly embarrassing.

She then used this analogy for us who are picture oriented;  if we continually use our cell phone without putting it on the charger and expect it to keep working -- it won't.  It runs out of power.  She then talked about how we do the same thing -- we keep going and going and never use our source of power -- the Word of God -- to recharge ourselves.  Ouch!  This really stepped on my toes!

In times of trouble we reach into our own flesh for help -- and how does that work out for us?  For me definitely not so well.  God has so much help just sitting there waiting for me and I just don't tap into it. How ridiculous that I think I have the answers!

But then isn't that what satan wants us to do?  His whole purpose is to steal, kill and destroy and since Jesus already won the battle and whipped him for us --- why don't I use that almighty power that is just sitting there for me?

So . . . it may not be a New Years resolution but I have made a renewed commitment to spend DAILY time in the Word of God, my source of power, strength, peace, victory and love!

When I got home yesterday I decided to start with looking up scriptures that have to do with God's love.  In the back of one of my numerous Bibles I looked up the word "love" and started writing down the scriptures.  I immediately started feeling a peace I haven't felt in a long time.  I also felt like some of the problems that have been weighing so heavily on my shoulders (and aren't even mine to carry around) were lighter.

So today, and each day following, I will go to God's Word for me -- to find my strength for TODAY.  As I do that I expect He will fulfill His promise to give me direction for TODAY.

How about you?  The "weight of the world" weighing on your shoulders too?  Yep -- that's what I thought.  So how about joining me in a mid year resolution?  We all want to weigh less anyway!   :)

Until next time . . . thank you Pastor Martie and my dear friends for being there for me and for not being ashamed to "tell it like it is" and wake me up!                                 Susan and Monty

1 comment:

Treasures from a shoebox said...

When I fail to spend time with the Lord, I really begin to feel as though I'm running on "fumes". I might be okay for a day or two, but after that, all goes downhill and I not only suffer the effects, but my family as well.