Wednesday, August 17, 2011

34 Years Ago




















Hard to believe that much time has passed! Where oh where does it go?


It was 34 years ago yesterday that Elvis Presley died! Now I am far from an Elvis fan so how do I not only remember the day but how many years it's been?


The night that he died I was in the hospital in a bed in a waiting room area because there were no rooms available. I was 3 weeks past my due date and more than miserable. See, my first baby (my son) had weighed in at 10 and 1/2 pounds less than 2 years before and I was terrified. This time they had done a pelvic xray and laughed when they told me "you don't have room for a 5 pounder!" I wondered where in the world they had been almost 2 years before!


I was terrified and so anxious as this time I was scheduled for a c-section the next morning. This was a new plan that only came about a few days before so no time to really prepare. I was to come in the night before and . . . well, that was about all I knew. So I was there and I was waiting. The area I was in had no TV so I had no idea until the next day that the big news was Elvis had died.


The next morning I was prepped for surgery and the last thing I remember was someone telling me to count backwards from 99. I remember saying 98 and that's it!


The main thing running through my mind was "is it a boy or a girl?" See, that was in the dark ages before anyone knew what they were having until it was born!


All my life I had dreamed of some day having a little dark haired girl. But for some reason I didn't think it was possible for me. Don't ask me why -- it was just me.


But God . . .


I woke up in the recovery room with a nurse telling me "it's a girl -- a little dark haired girl." Even through the groggy head I understood but still thought she must be mistaken. I needed to see it to believe it -- sound familiar?


When I saw her I was thrilled beyond description! She was a girl and she did have dark hair, black hair! And she was beautiful! No red marks on her face from forceps, no blue skin from lack of oxygen, just beauty like I had never seen. Perfect!


I felt fine and we were dismissed in a shorter amount of time than when my son was born.


It didn't take long for her dark hair to start changing -- to the blondest blonde I think I'd ever seen!


She was a quiet little baby who slept most of the time. She was content to sit in her baby chair and watch the world go by.


As she grew it became evident that she had a mind of her own and knew exactly what she wanted. She always wanted to wear dresses and could be outside all day and come in spotless! The elderly neighbor next door was in awe!


She excelled in school and never had to be told to do her homework. She actually seemed to enjoy studying. She maintained an A average all through school, even while cheerleading from middle school through graduation from high school.


When it came time for college she wanted to major in health administration and maybe manage a hospital. But as time went on she realized she wanted more, she wanted a law degree. I knew from experience that when she set her mind to something it was made up -- and no one could change it so being a lawyer might just be her calling in life.


Calling? An understatement!


She married her high school sweetheart, graduated with honors, passed the bar exam on her first try and got a job with one of the best law firms in the area.


She had 2 children and made partner in that firm within her first 7 years there. When the firm decided to separate in the fall of last year she and some of the other partners made the decision to go out on their own and create a new firm. Within the first 4 months they were so successful they had to hire 2 additional attorneys.


Yesterday she took her 6 year old son to his first day of all day kindergarten and her 3 year old daughter to her first day of preschool. Is that possible? I was just taking my kids a few years ago -- or it seems!?


They are currently building a new home and should be moved in around Thanksgiving.


All during her 34 years there has always been this thought in my mind -- no matter what was happening, no how many "detours" our family life took, no matter how bad or good things were, I always knew, and said aloud many times, "Stacy will be okay -- she'd the strong one!"


God gifted her with an inner strength and determination that I think is unsurpassable! I have laughed over the years and said I would like to be in the courtroom the day she loses a case as I've yet to see anyone win an argument with her! She uses the gift God gave her and won't waste a single second of it!


A wife, a mother, a lawyer, a home maker and home builder, a helper for the voiceless and an amazing woman!


But most of all --- she's my daughter and I am so proud of her and love her deeply!


Happy Birthday Stacy! May God continue to bless and keep you as He has promised! I am honored to be your mother!


Until next time . . . hug your kids today! No matter how old they are! Susan and Monty


1 comment:

Treasures from a shoebox said...

Sounds like an amazing woman (much like her momma)! Happy birthday to Stacy :)