Sunday, January 15, 2012

Reaping what we sow

"A man reaps what he sows."  Galatians 6:7

One of the texts Pastor Dave used in todays message.

I came from a farming family, actually generations of farmers.  This text has always carried a double meaning for me because of that.

In both contexts if one doesn't plan, cultivate and finish the season there is no harvest.

The most important principles in both are repetition and consistency.

As a child, year after year, our family life followed the cycles of planting, cultivating and then harvesting the fields of corn and soybeans.  You did over and over again.  Repeating, making a few tweeks here and there to hopefully improve the harvest, one step at a time.

In the Bible Jesus referred to farmers and farming many times.  For them, no planting or cultivating meant no harvest which meant no food. We are spoiled because all we have to do is go to the grocery and possibly pay higher prices.

But today, what are we "planting?"  What is that thing that God has called us to do, to be involved in, to make a difference in, to cultivate, to take care of -- to harvest?

What kind of actions are we taking to bring that "thing" to harvest?

Maybe I am one of the fortunate ones because I know what the "desire of my heart" is.  (Psalm 37:4)

It's always been there.  I've always known,  But I haven't always cultivated or taken care of it.  But it's always been there.  Simply --- help those in need!

Sounds simple . . . but . . .

This morning Pastor Dave gave me alot to think about!  Am I following through on my actions on a daily basis to bring in my harvest?  No.

I need to remember that the harvest is worth the price of persistance.  It's worth doing the right things over and over again.  It's worth the persistance, the consistency, the repetition!

God has shown me over and over again in these past years just how important my harvest is!  I've seen it in the eyes of the homeowners, I've felt it in their hugs, I've heard it in their voices and seen it in their eyes as streams of tears of joy flow down their cheeks.

This calling God has given me --- the one He has given you --- it IS worth whatever it takes!!!!

Give it some thought today . . . and then take what God speaks to you and put it into action!

I know I added a couple of things to my "to do" list for tomorrow!

Until next time . . . "Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him and He will act."  Psalm 37:5
Susan and Monty

No comments: