Thursday, April 25, 2013

My Son is How Old???

A very long time ago my dad made the statement, "you know you're getting old when your kids start getting old!"  I think it was when I was about the age my son turns today!   (He's the one on the far right of the pic)

Now, all these years later --- I realize even more how right my dad was!   :)

Today, at precisely 1:15pm my son will turn 38 years old!

No matter how old I grow, I will always remember that day as if it was yesterday.

I was 20 years old.  He was supposed to be due on April 8th.   All during my pregnancy I had been trying to tell the doctors how very large babies run in my family.  I weighed 10 pounds and my 3 younger brothers weighed in more and more till one topped out at 12 pounds 1 ounce ---- yes ---- at newborn weight!!!!

No doctors would believe me --- until that day!  As I labored and labored with not much progress they finally decided it was time to do a Csection.  But just as the prep started the monitor attached to Ryan showed his heart completely stop.  No time for surgery and off to the delivery room we went.  I had no idea what was really happening and only remember sheer terror going through my mind.

It took 4 doctors and 3 nurses to "deliver" him -- with the main doctor shouting about how he'd never seen a baby this big (a real help to my terror)!!!!!

I only caught a glimpse of Ryan as they hurried him to an incubator -- he was as blue as the sky.  He spent a few hours there.  When everyone was assured he was fine they brought him to me.  He was beautiful beyond words -- just a couple of marks along his forehead from the forceps.  And yes -- he was big --- 10 pounds 6 ounces and nearly 22 inches long!

And now ---- he is 38 years old --- quite a few inches over 6 feet tall and still as beautiful and still as perfect as that day!

Ryan --- I love you with all my heart and am so proud of the amazing man you have become!!!!

God truly blessed me that day --- and every day since then.

Hope you have a wonderful birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!               Mom and Monty

1 comment:

Treasures from a shoebox said...

I know how this feels...my oldest recently turned 29 and I'm thinking, "Hey wait; wasn't I 29 just a few years ago?!" And we thought it was just their CHILDHOOD that goes to fast!

Happy birthday to your big boy! :)